Group Volunteer Policies and Protocols
Groups will be asked for a $5 per head donation and are required to give an initial $100 partnership fee.* We do not have any free parking. We are conveniently located less than one block from the Garnett Marta Station.We welcome you to the Gateway Center team. As a vital part of our work and team each volunteer is expected to adhere to the following policies and protocols.
• All volunteers must attend a volunteer orientation session before beginning their group activity.
• Be dependable and punctual. If you are unable to fulfill your commitment, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator as soon as possible, minimally 48 hours ahead of your scheduled time commitment. Our staff and clients depend on our volunteers. You should call 404 215 6651 first and then call 404 215 6615 to contact a staff member.
• Check in at the front desk when you arrive for your volunteer assignment, sign the volunteer notebook and wear your ID badge (if applicable). The center needs to be aware that you have arrived, and it is important that staff and other volunteers can easily identify volunteers. We track the number of volunteer service hours, so signing in and out is very important.
• Honor the program schedule by not exceeding allotted time for volunteer activity, unless otherwise approved by the Community Relations Director or Volunteer Coordinator. Other classes and activities on the schedule will be impacted by your compliance to your designated time.
• Both men and women must dress in modest attire (i.e., knee-length shorts/skirt, no tank tops, etc.) Please do not bring book bags, large purses, heavy jackets, or any item you cannot tote while at the center. All large items should be tucked away in a trunk or left at home. (Tennis shoes and closed toed shoe wear is preferred)
• Money is never given to a Gateway client. If you would like to make a donation, see the Director, Community Relations Director, or Volunteer Coordinator.
• Your address and phone numbers are confidential and not to be circulated to the program clients. Pictures may never be taken of clients.
• Do not give food, clothing, gifts, books, videos, etc. directly to a client. Please ask the Volunteer Coordinator, Community Relations Director, or Director if you would like to donate to the clothing closet or make other in-kind donations. Volunteers are not to take donations from the Gateway Center.
• Religious activities, speech, proselytizing, rituals can take place in the Chapel only. The chapel must be reserved. If you would like to preach or teach we can offer you a slot in the schedule. The CEC or main lobby cannot function as an auditorium, or event space for reasons regarding funding, privacy, safety, and legality.
• Smoking is not permitted. Alcohol and drugs are strictly prohibited at all facilities.
• Parking is paid only. We do not have any parking spaces, nor can volunteers park in the loading zone. The areas near the dumpsters if for unloading and loading only; vehicles are not allowed to park anywhere other than paid parking. There are coin-operated and debit lots across from GWC on Peachtree Street.
• Volunteers should always travel in pairs. The dorms are a private area.
• If a problem should arise, immediately seek the assistance of the nearest staff person on duty who will triage the situation (staff members wear gold badges).
• Groups may not use the kitchen. We do not allow volunteers to utilize the kitchen for preparing of food, cooking, or cleaning. Groups may use the kitchen to warm food only. All groups serving food should bring their own utensils, and plate ware.
• Volunteers may listen to someone. Volunteers should not attempt to case-manage, counsel, or advise a client unless proper licensure is provided to our coordinator.
• Maintain a positive attitude toward clients, other volunteers and staff members. All conversations and conduct should be appropriate to and supportive of the Gateway Center program services.
• Transporting clients is not permitted, except by Gateway vehicles with approved drivers.
• Dismissal of a volunteer will take place if performance is unsatisfactory or behavior is unacceptable. (If a group cancels less than 48 hours in advance they will be put on a 6 month serving suspension) The volunteer and staff supervisor may meet with the Volunteer Coordinator in an effort to rectify any misunderstandings. If the volunteer has continual problems with staff we have the right to end our relationship.
• Volunteers have a right to be acknowledged and to know they are appreciated for their contributions. Recognition will be an on-going process and references are always provided upon request for volunteers in good standing.
The Gateway Center believes that changing the lives and perceptions of our volunteers is equally important to our core mission to equip each person with the tools to end their homelessness and reach self-sufficiency.
As part of Gateway’s volunteer service and education program, groups can expect*:
In order to support the continuation of our volunteer service and education program, Gateway Center has instituted a new policy for volunteer groups. Effective immediately, all new volunteers wishing to serve with GWC are asked to adhere to our new policy, which is broken down as follows:
$100 administrative fee valid for a 6-month Volunteer Contract with GWC, plus $5 per participant in each group.
$100 administrative fee valid for a 6-month Volunteer Contract with GWC.
We ask that you schedule in advance with our Volunteer Coordinator, Bec Cranford (firstname.lastname@example.org). Groups may pay via PayPal (link found under “Donate” on our website) or with a check made out to Gateway Center.
If more participants arrive in your group than scheduled, you will be charged the $5 fee per additional person. There is a 2 week cancelation period, after which your group will be charged regardless. There will also be a $50 late fee for groups arriving more than 15 minutes late for their scheduled appointment. Under such circumstances, Gateway Center will invoice your organization for the additional costs.
*Due to the fluid nature of each day at Gateway Center, we cannot guarantee that each aspect will be met exactly. However, every effort will be made by the volunteer staff to ensure that every experience is exemplary.